Working at Vera Water and Power, you have the opportunity to be part of a community-owned utility.
We serve about 25,000 people in the Spokane Valley. Our job as a publicly-owned, not-for-profit utility is to deliver safe, reliable electricity and water at the lowest price possible while responsibly managing our resources, our employees, and our environment.
Open Position: UI Developer
Posted Jan. 5, 2018
We are currently accepting resumes with a portfolio for a UI Developer. The position is open until filled.
General Job Description (updated Jan. 10, 2018)
The UI Developer position will work collaboratively with IT Department and general Vera staff to design, develop, and maintain a presentation system to be used by Vera staff and customers. This presentation system may consist of windows applications, web applications, web services, mobile apps, or other software protocols and systems required to interface with a variety of lower-level business and data systems. An example of such protocols could include Multispeak, ODBC, IEC, or Web Service Interoperability. Presentation media may be electronic or hard copy.
The ideal candidate will have a balance of skills in layout and graphic design and front-end development. The position could be broken down as 50 percent front-end development, 30 percent graphic and layout design, and 20 percent back-end development. Critical to this position is the ability to use vector drawing tools like Adobe Illustrator, CorelDraw, or Inkscape to produce original graphic elements adhering to corporate design standards. The ability to produce layout designs using wireframe, mockup, and storyboarding skills and techniques will also be necessary.
Experience and Education Requirements
- Minimum of three years experience in UI development or design
- Portfolio of professional work
- Prefer a bachelor’s degree with a major in software development or design, or graphic design, or a related field of study. Certified training proving competency in these areas would also be considered.
- Proficient in object-oriented development languages, i.e., Java, C#, Python
- Programming experience with third-party APIs
- Basic understanding of object-oriented design principles such as encapsulation, abstraction, inheritance, and polymorphism
- Skilled in the use of graphic design tools such as Adobe Creative Suite
- Capable of producing original content including graphics, iconography, electronic and print media layout design
- Experience developing ADA compliant user interfaces or websites
- Collaborate with IT staff to integrate various technologies into the presentation layer project
- Support other IT staff as required in designated projects
- Communicate with general staff and potentially customers to gather input and feedback regarding presentation development
- Conceptualize, design, and develop a comprehensive user interface operational across multiple technology platforms
- Maintain developed source code to accommodate changes to underlying business and data applications
- Periodically refresh layout and design elements to avoid stagnation or an outdated user experience
- Function as a backup to social media communication and basic IT helpdesk support
- Periodically review and update user interfaces, websites, and social media applications for ADA and other legal compliance
Starting salary will be dependent on qualifications and experience.
If you are interested in this position, please email your resume and portfolio to email@example.com. Please, no phone calls.